Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Monday, November 24, 2025

Two weeks now

Some bright things recently:

Living with my sister and her family has allowed me to get to spend much more time with my nieces, Stella and Lucy, and it's been a lot of fun. I love their energy and insights and our conversations are a real source of joy and inspiration for me.

At school, things have been very busy, but also lots of good stuff going on. For example, last Friday, my civil engineering class and I went on a field trip to UConn. We assisted to two lectures, one Reinforced Concrete Structures, and the other Mechanics of Materials. We then visited a structures lab. It was really fun, and my students really enjoyed the visit and got to ask questions and have good conversations with the college students in the classes we assisted to. Their youthful excitement and eagerness reminded me so much of how I used to feel, and I am grateful that I am in a position to facilitate this type of experience for them.

In my time off, I've been reading Oppenheimer, American Prometheus, an amazing biography, of a very unique person. I love reading about Oppenheimer's range of interests outside of physics, including philosophy and literature and nature. He was such an interesting and complex person. I also really like reading about the ethical debates that took place at Los Alamos as they were designing the bomb. I personally think that ethics is and should be a crucial aspect of science and technology, and I try to incorporate it in all the classes I teach.

That's my update for now,
Peace 

No comments: