Here's a picture of Sena and Mitch after they finished testifying on their bill.
I stayed at the Capitol, and unfortunately, though I waited 7 hours, I still was not able to testify. By the time I left, there were so many people waiting to testify before me, and it looked like it might have been another 2 hours before I'd get my turn, so at 9:30pm, I decided to go home. I am submitting my testimony in written format, but I do wish I could've spoken...
Here's my final testimony:
Dear members of the Environment Committee,
I am here to ask you support bill SB 301: An act concerning the use of Chlorpyrifos.
I am very concerned about the many documented toxic effects that this pesticide has on the health of humans and children in particular, effects such as:
- brain damage, learning disabilities, developmental delays, behavioral problems;
- The EPA’s own scientific analysis showed that the amount of Chlorpyrifos ingested by young children through sprayed fruits and vegetables could exceed safety levels by 140 times.
I am also concerned about the effects of Chlorpyrifos on the health of animals, our environment in general, and pollinators in particular.
- As a farmer, I know that pollinators are critical to our food supply;
- Without pollinators we cannot produce many fruit and vegetable crops;
- Yet pollinators are experiencing a massive decline around the world;
- For example, in 2018, CT farmers lost 73% of their bee hives;
- Pesticides such as Chlorpyrifos and Neonicotinoids are largely responsible for this alarming decline;
- This is unacceptable and unsustainable.
Here in CT, Chlorpyrifos seems to be mostly used on golf courses. Yet we hear arguments that banning it will negatively impact farmers.
I am here to tell you that, as a farmer growing some of the very crops that this pesticide is applied to, I know that there are healthier alternatives to this pesticide, alternatives such as:
- Integrated Pest Management;
- Habitat management;
- Mechanical, cultural, biological controls.
As a farmer, I can also tell you that the people who come to our farm care about the health and safety of their food. They do not want pesticides and other toxic chemicals like Chlorpyrifos in their food supply, and expect you, their elected leader, to stand up and implement regulations that protect their health and wellbeing, and the health and wellbeing of their children, before any other interests.
Please support this bill and ban Chlorpyrifos in CT, as other legislators have done or are in the process of doing in California, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, and many European Union countries.
Thank you very much!

1 comment:
frumos discurs si mobilizator. cred c-o sa aiba efect.
ce poza frumoasa , Sena si Mitch ! fac treaba buna impreuna si, daca se si iubesc , ma bucur . ce frumosi sint ,amindoi ! mama .
Post a Comment