Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, January 26, 2018

What I'm afraid of

I've been exploring the theme of fear a lot recently. I am conflicted about sharing this very personal stuff in such an impersonal, exposed medium, but I decided to do it anyway, in hope that it may help someone who may be dealing with some of the same fears, or any fears really, to know we're not alone.


What I'm afraid of:

Being seen for who I really am
Not being seen for who I really am

Asking for what I need
Expressing how I feel
Intimacy
Conflict

Saying no
Disappointing you

The hand raised up against me
The yelling
That look upon your face
The feeling when the stomach's twisting
and all is vertigo

Not knowing the difference between what I can and cannot change

Making the wrong decision
Missing the last chance

That I will yell for help,
like in those dreams,
and nothing will come out
and you won't hear me

Not having enough
Having too much

Emptiness

Hurting you
Wasting your time
Wasting my time

Pretense

That fear is stronger than love
That I can't trust myself

Betraying you
Betraying myself

Falling into the void inside myself



I have been dealing with these fears and others most of my life. They come and go in cycles; at times they get resolved, and I get to a different level, and then a situation will trigger them to come back and I realize they're still there, just in a different circumstance, a different level. I'm starting to accept that living and dealing with fear is a lifelong process. I'm trying to view fear like a fickle friend, here to tell me something, to warn me sometimes, and other times just a straight out liar. Telling the difference is the challenge.
Peace

1 comment:

Roxi said...

Thank you for sharing something so personal. I have felt many of the same fears. Like the fear or not knowing which is the right choice, but having to choose anyway.