Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Becoming who you are

In a world in upheaval, as we are right now, to be yourself is a revolutionary act.

When you become who you are, and are able to speak truth, no force will stop you. Paradoxically, becoming who you are will put you in a most vulnerable position, and yet, in that vulnerability lies your true strength.

But the hard part is how do you get the courage to walk this road? How do you become who you are when all you're taught and shown, more than that, when you know that all that is expected of you is to become someone else?

I cannot speak for others, but for me, I get courage by being outside, watching and being with nature. In nature, everything is what it is, and everything is unique. Also, there is infinite variation, everything has its place and purpose, and it all works together. I am a child of nature too, and when I think of that it gives me courage to be who I am.

I also find courage in knowing that there are a few people in my life that love me no matter what. And also, by realizing that despite the masks we put on, despite how we may look on the outside, most of us are afraid and insecure; most of us are suffering and trying to do what we think, rightly or wrongly, will relieve that suffering. We're all in this together.

I could say much more on this, but it is just words. The important thing is to do it, fumble and stumble, be terrified and exhilarated and anything else that comes up, but just do it.

Peace

No comments: