Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Mighty big forage radish

I posted about forage radishes before, but this one may be the largest I've ever seen. Plus, the pictures show Aiyana and Sena's characters so well: Aiyana, lively and silly, just loves to have a good time; Sena, always dignified and in control.



Forage radishes are amazing. They grow fast and provide a great cover crop at the end of the season. They loosen up the soil (you can see why), and they also provide a great source of food for the cows. Right now, I'm giving Opal and Jasmine 3 of these radishes each at milking time, plus a whole bunch of other veggies, like potatoes, carrots, kale, bok choi or whatever else we have, for a total of approx. 15lbs per cow. That's a lot of veggies for one meal, right? Well, I bring them veggies and they give me milk. A good trade.

Peace

3 comments:

emily said...

Great and hilarious photos!! Fun. IS this the same as a Daikon Radish?

Roxi said...

Funny pictures. Reminds me of several different kids' books we've read about a giant turnip, or a giant carrot, and how everyone in the family needs to pull together to get it out of the ground.

raluca said...

This is not a Daikon, but is closely elated to it.