Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Killing frost over the weekend

If in my last post I described a relaxing Sunday, here I will write about a most hectic weekend: the weekend before the killing frost.

The temperature predictions for Saturday and Sunday night were in the mid and low 20's respectively, so even though the CSA is over for the season (as of last week), we still had quite a few crops in the field that needed to be protected because we could sell them until Christmas, and they represent a significant amount of our yearly income. So, on Saturday, Ed and I spent the day harvesting the last of the apples, pears, celeriac, celery, parsley and peppers. These will last for quite a while in our root cellar. Veggies that remained in the field, like spinach, salad greens, bok choi, turnips, radishes, carrots and beets had to be covered with thick cloth or plastic covers held down by many heavy sand bags. This took us all day, and while we were out working, Sena and Aiyana had 2 friends over for a sleepover, and thank goodness for that, because they all cooked dinner for us, so there was something to eat when we came in tired and cold after dark.

On Sunday, the frenzy started again. Now we had to go to our other field in Willington, where there was more to harvest and cover. We harvested cabbages, rutabagas and kohlrabi for storage in the root cellar, as well as some gigantic forage radishes that will feed the cows through the winter. Then the fun with covering began again - this time for brussel sprouts and some remaining cabbages. We were done by late afternoon, after which everything had to be brought home and stored in the root cellar. Since nobody was home to cook the entire day, the girls and I went out and got Indian food for all of us. That was a nice treat at the end of the day. So was reading James Herriot by the fire, knowing that everything was done.

Killing frost always brings up mixed feelings: anxiety because I know so much has to be done, and I'm never sure if what we do do is enough to protect the plants; sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. If the forecast is wrong and the temps are lower than expected, or if the covers blew off during the night the plants may die anyway despite all our efforts at protecting them. But hard frost also brings relief because one way or another it means the end of many worries. Whatever crop does not survive is done with for the season and we won't have to worry about it again.

Today it is sunny and cold, and the air is very clear. I too feel clear: another season is coming to the end, and it was a good one. We worked a lot and gave a lot of ourselves and we have also been given a lot, with excellent yields and a great CSA. There were many challenges and set-backs of different kinds, as always, but right now I am content with how things are. As always, I am most grateful to the land that supports us and gives us so much, and allows us to live this lifestyle.
Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

raluca, felicitari pt. tot ce-ati facut anul asta,desi, cu munca grea. acum , va doresc odihna placuta si caldura in casa. mama.