Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas

Christmas was a little different this year. On Christmas eve, we went to Ed's parents' house as usual. We got to see many people we don't often see, and we got to see ed's cousin's, Lisa's, new baby, born only one month ago. Sena and Aiyana were very excited about that. Ed and I got some nice presents - Eliot Coleman's book on winter vegetable production, which i can't wait to read; and a framed etching of a farmhouse, which may actually be our new house. It looks gorgeous. Ed found the etching when he was ripping up the walls of the house, as he was starting to work on it a couple of months ago. Clearly, the picture was very old, possibly from the eighteen hundreds just like the house. Ed's mom had it cleaned up and framed, and it really looks nice now. Can't wait to put it up when we move in.

Speaking of moving in, Ed and Jonnie have made great progress on the house. Ed's finishing up siding as we I write this, so the outside should be done by the end of today. Then they'll start the inside work. Ed's reading up on plumbing, electrical, insulation, etc. So far, he's been able to do all the work using non-toxic, environmentally friendly materials, which is great. It's also very exciting that he was able to buy all materials he needed from small, local businesses, instead of the big chain stores. Hopefuly he'll be able to do the same with the inside work.

Yesterday was Christmas day, and we were invited to Ed's brother's house, but Sena got a runny nose, and we decided that she and I would stay home. We had a great time just the two of us. We had a tasty, candle-light dinner of squash soup, English muffins with olive spread, and roasted red peppers with feta; we listened to Christmas music, including the Ramones, which Sena really liked. We did yoga, talked, and we went to bed early and read. It was one of the nicest Christmases I've had since I was a kid. Just really simple and sweet.

I hope you have a beautiful New Year -
Peace

No comments: