Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Summer recap

This summer has been amazing, and I feel so grateful.

June started off with 10 days in Istanbul with Sena and Aiyana. Istanbul is my love, and although this was my 3rd time there, it's certainly not going to be the last. I need to hear the call to prayer from a little hidden cafe overlooking the Bosphorus again. I need to feel that freedom and sheer joy and awe at the history and the beauty again.

In July, I went to Montreal for another 10 days. I spent time with my mom, dad and Aiyana, and just hung out, walking the streets where I had so much fun when I was young, reconnecting with this city that will always be my home in so many ways.

Finally, at the end of July and through most of August, I was in France and Switzerland.

The first three days in France, la Chapelle D’Abondance, hiking in the Alps — I cannot describe the beauty,  joy and freedom I felt. At some points, I was literally running with excitement as I hiked. On some of the ridges, with expansive views over valleys, villages, the sound of cow bells, the flowers and tiny little butterflies all around, I felt like if I died this moment, I would be satisfied. I have seen and experienced enough beauty. The world has shown me.

Finally, the experience at CERN, Geneva, where I spent 2 weeks in the company of 41 other teachers selected from all over the world: This was mind blowing in so many ways! Learning about particle physics at the Large Hadron Collider from top physicists and scientists and engineers! Seeing the Antimatter factory!!! Coming as close as I ever have to insight into the incredible way our universe works through physics. All this was amazing. 

Additionally, being with all the other teachers in this intense program (our schedule was no joke), I feel like we really created a very special bond. I have never before been in such an internationally collaborative atmosphere for so long. There were 3 teachers from the US, 3 from Canada, and the rest from all over the world. Speaking and working with teachers from as far away as Bhutan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Kosovo, Armenia, UK, France, etc, the one thing that stood out the most was how much we have in common rather than what is different. 

More broadly than the teacher group, the CERN campus, which is a world in itself, was also so fun. It had a really special vibe. You could just tell that the people working there, physicists, engineers, technicians, PhD students, etc. were excited about what they were doing. Even at meal times, it was so fun hearing all the languages being spoken, and that feeling of excitement and intellectual stimulation was there.

So, back home now, reflecting on my summer, and trying to integrate all these experiences into one cohesive whole, all I can feel is awe and enormous gratitude. I know that I am extremely fortunate to have been able to experience all this, and I hope that I can now take it all and let it transform me so that I can contribute even a small fraction of what I received, moving forward.


Peace

No comments: