Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, April 18, 2025

Day in NYC: off script and playful

Today I’m taking a day trip to NYC, and I’m doing a little experiment.

I want to approach the day with the spirit and inclination of two things that have touched me recently: the movie Amélie and the philosopher Deleuze.

What I carry with me from both is the sense of life as a confluence of forces and processes, all in constant flux—coming together to create specific events at specific points in time. Nothing hard or fixed, including ourselves; everything moving, unfolding, becoming.

So instead of bringing along fixed plans, expectations, or judgments; instead of running away from things looking for a sort of fix for the problems in my life, I’m feeling today a bit differently, more playfull and light. It's a beautiful, sunny day, with flowers and spring, and many beautiful little things all around.

We all carry a lot, and I wish you peace and light on your journey!

I'll leave you with this quote from Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, which feels like a beautiful invitation today:

"Love the whole world, every leaf, every ray of God’s light. Love animals, love plants, love everything.”
Peace

No comments: