I want to share a little practice I've been doing first thing in the morning and last thing before I fall asleep at night. I find it very helpful and soothing, and I thought maybe you'd find it helpful too.
You could call this practice praying, or you could call it mindfulness meditation, or you can call it whatever you want. Basically, what it is, is focusing my attention, remembering and sending well wishes to many different people.
I think about people in hospitals, who are alone and afraid, and pray for them, for health and help.
I think about children who are sick or hungry or in unsafe situations, and send them well wishes, that they may feel loved and cared for.
I think about all the helpers out there in their many forms: those who take care of the sick; teachers; farmers; healers; cleaners; activists; everyone who does a little part to help the whole. I wish them health and strength.
I think about those in power, those who I agree with and those who I disagree with. I send them prayers and well wishes so that they may see clearly and make good decisions.
I think about the bullies and the aggressive ones, and wish them healing from whatever is hurting them so they may live their lives in a better way.
I think about the plants and animals and fungi and bacteria and our amazing Earth. I send gratitude for all we take to sustain ourselves, and for all the beauty.
I think about other things, and as I do, I feel connected to them and send well wishes.
I originally stared this practice because I couldn't do my regular meditation, since I couldn't sit due to my surgery. Now I continue to do it, even though I can sit again. I find it to be a really good way to focus my mind, and stay present. Of course my mind still strays a lot, but this practice gives me something very concrete to come back to.
The other thing I found is that this meditation makes me feel less afraid, less alone, more connected. It also helps me to remember to take positive action in my daily life.
I hope you find something useful in it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment