Today is my parents' 50th anniversary. I'm not going to write something syrupy about how much they love each other and how they have this perfect relationship, because they don't. And because it makes me feel slightly sick when I see things like that on social media, and then, often find out that the reality of the couple in question is far from what's being portrayed. It doesn't help anyone to portray things that aren't true.
My parents have been through a lot together and separately. They stood together on some things, and stood far apart on others. They helped each other through some things and were not able to on others. Their story is complex, with many layers and happy and sad moments sprinkled through like salt and pepper.
This date is important to me. It marks the beginning of a life shared between my parents, without which my sister and I and our families would not be here. I am grateful to both of them for doing their best for us always, throughout our lives, and through our moves from Romania to Canada and the US.
I hope my parents have a nice day today, and I hope they find some peace and contentment in reflecting on this date and what it means to all of us.
Peace
2 comments:
merci mult , Raluca !imi place comentariul tau asupra unei vieti comune de 50 ani , f. realist .
Va doresc sa sarbatoriti si voi 50 ani de mariaj si mai mult ! cu drag, mama .
Happy Anniversary. Wonderfully honest & loving tribute
Post a Comment