Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Wednesday, July 08, 2020

What are you looking at, and what do you see?



Quantum mechanics, and the double slit experiment in particular (in which light behaves as a wave or a particle depending on how we observe it), has taught us that how we look at something determines what we see. How we measure something becomes part of, and defines, what we find.

On a more personal, every day level, I believe that things work in a similar way in our search to understand ourselves and the world around us.

HOW we look at ourselves and our world changes what we find. It becomes an integral part of, and it defines, what we find.

We can try to understand ourselves and our world through the lens of socially accepted norms; through our practical experience; through our thoughts and emotions; our likes and dislikes; through meditation and contemplation. There are infinite ways to pursue the fundamental questions: Who am I? What is this?

As far as I can tell, there is no one, final answer. I have no problem with that. But I do find it amazing and awe inspiring, to realize that in this never ending, dynamic quest, we and our world are redefined and intertwined with every single interaction we have as part of the search itself.

Peace

No comments: