Every morning, when I go out to milk my cow, I walk by a
thick bush on my way to the pasture. For many days, I walked by it focused on
the work ahead, without noticing anything. Then, one evening, Ed told me that a
rabbit is always standing there near the bush.
The next morning, I forgot about the rabbit and walked by
the bush without paying attention, as usual. But on my way back, after the milking,
I remembered the rabbit and started looking for it. Sure enough, there it was,
right by the bush, and when it saw me looking, it ran into the bush.
There were a few more mornings like that, forgetting and
then remembering, and each time I’d look, the rabbit was always there,
but then, as I went towards it, it ran into the thickness of the bush.
One day, I stopped and started talking to it, knowing that
it was right there in the bush, very close to me, though I couldn’t see it.
Today, I was on a long drive, and I was thinking about this
rabbit. There’s something very comforting to me in knowing that it’s always
there on the path. Whether I’m paying attention to it or not.
It struck me that there’s a certain quality I’ve felt in
meditation, and sometimes in gardening, sometimes just before falling asleep, etc., that reminds me of
this rabbit; something quiet and permanent and elusive. I don’t have the perfect name for it, but some
words that come to mind are: joy, beauty, a deep, underlying sense of peace and goodness.
Just like I didn’t notice the rabbit all those times I was walking right by it, we often do not notice the
joy and beauty and goodness in our life, though they are always there. There are times when we decide to actively pursue, or purposely go looking for
these qualities. Whether it’s on vacation, some form of entertainment, or some special type of activity, we chase down things that we hope will fulfill us and bring us peace
and happiness. But often, we find that these qualities cannot be chased; they elude
us, hiding out of sight, just like the rabbit did every time I purposely looked
for it.
What the rabbit helped me realize is that maybe all we need
to do is walk whatever path we’re already on right now, but just do so with
awareness. Because at the edge of that path, there are joy, beauty,
goodness, silently standing by – we just need to be aware that they’re there.
We don’t need to make a special effort to chase them down, in fact, that effort
will not work. Just going about our business with presence and awareness that
these qualities we so desperately want are already there – that’s all we
need to do.
Driving home after a hectic workday today, I did not feel
joy or happiness. I felt drained and exhausted and kind of empty. But I pictured the
rabbit standing at the edge of the path, and that was enough. Without trying to
change anything, without needing to change anything, I kept
driving.
There have been many times in the past when feeling empty and tired
made me feel guilty and frustrated, adding to my exhaustion the weight of judgments
such as“ I should not be feeling like this, I should be happy”. I should try to catch the rabbit.
The difference today was that I realized that I don’t need
to catch it. I don’t need to make it mine. I just need to remember that it’s
there.
Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment