I want to share a simple thing I've been incorporating in my meditation practice over the past few weeks, which I find very helpful and soothing.
It is simply saying "Yes".
Whenever I notice my mind wondering, whenever I notice myself caught in some fear or judgement, or anxiety, or daydream, or whatever it is, I just say "Yes" to it, and move on. I can honestly say that it feels surprisingly soothing to do so.
Saying yes is fundamentally accepting what comes up, which we usually don't have any control over, but which, if caught unaware, can ensnare us and lead us on. When I say yes to whatever the feeling is, I accept it, and and in accepting it, I no longer have to fight it, try to shut it down, feel bad about it, or anything else. Accepting it allows me to move on to the next breath and the next, until I catch myself in the hook of something else, and then say yes to that as well.
I've been saying yes to lots of things:
reasonable and unreasonable hope
tenderness
fear
anger
resentment
dread
uncertainty
exhaustion
and so on.
If you meditate formally, try it. And if you don't, try it anyway. Honestly, I would not have believed that such a simple thing can feel so powerful. I hope you find it helpful.
Peace


No comments:
Post a Comment