Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Power



In this quote from King Lear, Shakespeare makes us distinguish between two kinds of power: the kind of power which stands in its own right, through its own virtue; versus that which can only stand because it is borne, or allowed to continue by those who are made to suffer by it.


I see this quote as being applicable in a wide range of contexts, from socio-cultural, to political and economic; but here, I want to bring it down to the personal level. 


I am lucky enough to know a few people who I would call truly powerful in the positive sense of the word. What makes them so is their humility and personal integrity, their lived experience, their love, empathy and compassion, and their ability to stay open and sensitive despite difficulties. 


On the other hand, I've also been in situations, and have seen others close to me in situations where they felt oppressed by someone who held power over them; the kind of power that draws its strength not from the person who wields it, but from the victims who allow it to continue to manifest.


People in the first category of power enable and empower others to become their best; while people in the second are enabled by others, mainly those they oppress.


I love how Shakespeare brings these distinctions into focus, allowing us to look at relationships with more awareness and understanding. Of course, most relationships don't fit neatly into one category or the other, but combine elements of both. Still, I find it useful to think about things in this light, and I hope you do too. 


I will leave you with this one question I have been asking myself since reading Shakespeare's lines: what kind of power dynamics am I a part of (at different levels), and which do I want to continue to enable?


Peace

No comments: