Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Saturday, March 02, 2019

Forgiveness

A few nights ago I had an insight: given how we're all constantly changing and doing our best with what we know at the time, how can there not be constant forgiveness?

One of my good friends told me that her son said to her: "You are the most forgiving person I know. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing." Indeed. I identify with that.

Is there a line between being forgiving or understanding and being weak? Is there a time and place to be more forceful and assertive? 

These are not one answer questions, but rather shifting with different situations and even within a situation, which is what makes them so hard.

I wrote this poem about my insight the other night:

The picture is one of our house plants.

Then, I came up on this beautiful passage in The Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoyevsky:


Peace 

2 comments:

emily said...

I easily and quickly forgive small things, but anything that I feel has been truly violating takes a lot longer. And there is no amount of "willing" myself to truly forgive before I am ready. But, I will admit that I have said "I forgive you" before I'm ready to.... just to "end" it. Sometimes it takes a lot of distance to see a hurtful situation in a different light. It helps to recognize how in need of forgiveness I am in order to extend forgiveness to others. Still... just like anything that changes with time--the time itself is the key component.

Raluca said...

That's amazing Emily! Thank you for your openness in sharing your experience. For sure, this is very difficult territory that we must learn to tread somehow....