I've meditated on and off throughout my life, but over the last year, I've established a regular practice, and I want to share my experience with that, in case someone else may find it useful. One year is not that long, but I have seen some changes.
I don't feel like I've achieved anything spectacular. I haven't reached any kind of bliss. But I am not really looking for that. What I am looking for is a way to be with my life as it is, without fear and escapism. In this aspect, I feel that meditation has been helpful.
My old issues, triggers, and fears are still there, but I feel that I'm developing a little bit of a different relationship with them. My thoughts and emotions no longer completely engulf me as often as they used to, and even when they do, there's a part of me that sees what's going on.
I would say that in a nutshell, what I got out of meditation so far is a slightly different relationship with my life. This may sound pretty lackluster, yet I feel there's something powerful and liberating about it. I do also feel that meditation can help everyone in some way, so if you feel drawn to it, I encourage you to try it.
I am grateful for my practice over the past year and for all the people I've learned from, especially: Chogyam Trungpa, Pema Chodron, Joko Beck, Brad Warner, Lion's Roar Magazine, and many others.
I plan to continue my practice and see what happens. I'll let you know.
I wrote this poem:
No bliss, no promises, just this.
(Background:Pixabay)
Peace
1 comment:
Is there any specific book or video that helped you when you were starting? I've had a hard time establishing a meditation practice, myself. I've been able to commit to a walking practice, writing practice, but meditation eludes me.
Post a Comment