What makes sense to me is to focus on healing fear, such that we don't end up passing our pain on to others, or creating more pain for ourselves and others, through our unconscious reactions.
How to heal fear is not an easy question, of course. From my personal experience, I found that understanding and awareness are key. Also, meditation and the sweat lodge have been invaluable in allowing me to move in the direction of healing.
Some days I'm fully submerged in the murky waters of fear. But other days, there is an opening, and though I know the fear is still there, I can live with it, and I can move with it in a good way.
Some days, I actually feel gratitude for my fear, for allowing me to understand, have compassion, and feel connected with others.

Peace
Peace
2 comments:
Such a struggle for me. When fear descends I feel like I can't move, and I unwittingly drag people into my darkness and stasis. It's like I can't control my thoughts, can't live in the present, and can't look outside of my own worry & actually connect with & love those around me. Then, it lifts. I'd like to know why/how it lifts...
Thanks for writing this.
Thank you for such a thoughtful comment, Emily. I don't know why the fear lifts when it does. All I can say is that I really have come to see the truth of what Leonard Cohen said "I don't trust my inner feelings, Inner feelings come and go". For me, each feeling has its own unique energy, which feels so overpowering when you're in it, whether it be good or bad. I used to identify with that energy, and I still do a lot, but other times, meditation has helped me to be able to wait patiently and know that it will pass.
I really think I'd suggest meditation to everyone, because it teaches you so much about your mind and how it works. It does not resolve anything, at least for me it hasn't, in the sense that the feelings are still there, just as intense, but it gives you another perspective on them, a way to move with them and not feel like you're trapped. I don't know if this makes any sense, I hope it does.
Another thing that helps me is knowing how much, in one way or another, we all suffer, and are just trying our best to get rid of our suffering. For some reason that gives me a feeling of compassion towards everyone, including myself.
Again, thank you for sharing, and good wishes to you.
Post a Comment