Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, January 19, 2018

RIP Cherese

We lost an incredibly beautiful and powerful woman this week, who I was lucky enough to know for a few years. Even in her struggle with cancer, she gave of herself. Last weekend, before she passed away, there was an exhibit, an art show or her life's work - paintings, drawings, journal writings and other personal, beautiful things. I went to see it and felt very moved and honored to be in the presence of this material that was so real and so raw. I know that her work and her life, and especially the way she shared it all even when she was not at her best, has touched me and will stay with me forever.

I will go back to see the exhibit again, because there was too much there to simply take in in one go. But for now, I have some notes in my journal that I took when I was there last weekend, and I want to share them with you. They're just bits and pieces which I copied from her various writings, some of them written while she was undergoing chemo in the hospital.

From Cherese's writings:

Who will you give the rest of your life to?
You don't even know me 
I don't define you that way
My life has been ruled by fear
It's time for the fear to die
I want to live
I'm tired of walking in fear
I cannot carry this any longer. I am enough.
Fuck you.
Know me
See me
So very afraid
Alone inside of alone
Empty nothingness
Why not live on the yellow brick road?

So many of us are missing you and grieving for you, Cherese. You gave so much. You gave of yourself. What else is there? Thank you and rest in peace.

No comments: