Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Message from a dream

I had one of my recurring dreams last night: in the distance, I saw a guy with a huge gun, more like a mini-tank. I was petrified, and felt he was going to start shooting any time. I started running away in panic, and told other people to run. But as it happens in dreams, my running was way too slow, and I felt like I was moving through molasses. I was further weighed and slowed down by the overwhelming fear of the guy and his gun. Eventually, the guy caught up with me, and usually this is where my recurring dream ends, and I wake up terrified. But this time, he passed by me, barely acknowledged me, and kept going. It turned out he wasn't interested in me at all, and my fear had been misplaced.

I woke up and when I remembered this dream, first I felt like laughing, then I felt a weight lifting off. I really needed this message- that sometimes our fears, which seem so real and powerful, are simply not grounded. Sometimes they are, but not every time, and it helps to remember that we don't know, even though in those fearful scenarios we build inside our heads, we feel like we do know how everything will go down.

I've always had plenty of fears about plenty of things, but I am grateful for the truth that this dream revealed, and how it allowed me to laugh about fear, and let go a little bit.

Peace

No comments: