Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Poetry and field work

These days, I read my poetry in the morning, and then I'm good to go for a while with my work out in the field. It's a nice combination.

Here are a few more excerpts from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (Edward Fitzgerald translation)
 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing. 
.... 
Oh, threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
One thing at least is certain--This Life flies;
One thing is certain and the rest is Lies;
The Flower that once has blown for ever dies. 
...
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell:" 
....
And this I know: whether the one True Light
Kindle to Love, or Wrath-consume me quite,
One Flash of It within the Tavern caught
Better than in the Temple lost outright. 

Peace

No comments: