Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

The timeless theme of wanting to be seen

It's bitter cold today, but sunny. I milked the cows, but there's not much milk now, as they are near the end of their lactation. So I only milk them 3-4 days a week, and I could stop altogether, but I cherish the time outside, in the morning, when it's just me and them.

Nevertheless, it was nice to come in from the cold, and read Maria Popova's Brain Pickings of the week. I came across this beautiful passage, written by Khalil Gibran in 1911, in a letter to Mary Haskell, with whom he had a deep connection.  (source):

There is an old Arabic song which begins “Only God and I know what is in my heart” — and today, after rereading your last three letters, I said out loud “Only God and Mary and I know what is in my heart.” I would open my heart and carry it in my hand so that others may know also; for there is no deeper desire than the desire of being revealed. We all want that little light in us to be taken from under the bushel.

Peace

No comments: