I had a conversation with someone today. I hadn't seen them in a while, and our interaction reminded me about the balance we need to keep between being open/genuine, and being mindful of the other person, of what they're ready or able to hear and take in. Just because we decide to be open and meet the world from a place of honesty and vulnerability, does not mean that everyone we come in contact with is ready for the same. And that is OK.
You ask me how I am.
I want to be genuine,
I tell you something about myself -
Only a little snippet, but authentic -
And I see your eyes shifting,
I see your discomfort,
This is not what you expected.
I don't want to rock your world,
Make you face inconvenient truths about yourself, myself, all of us.
So I make you happy,
Back off and raise my mask,
Say everything is fine.
Now you relax,
And smile, relieved
That you can go on about your day,
Pretending.
And I,
I'll just keep watching.
No comments:
Post a Comment