Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

It's a beautiful day

Today feels like the most beautiful day. The air is crisp and cool, the sun is out, and I feel exuberant. That Rumi quote about the thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground really feels appropriate today. There are a million ways I want to kiss the ground.

My day started with coffee and a wonderful time with the cows, milking them and being with them in the pasture. I saw 15 wild turkeys that have been hanging out in the orchard lately, and then a hawk up in a tree on the edge of the pasture flew slowly over me. Quite a start for the day.

Then I went over plans for our Europe trip, which is coming up soon. I called Nicu, our farm mentor, who's in his 70s now, and who we'll be visiting in Romania. He is an amazing man, who happened to come to our farm when we just started, and ended up staying for 2 years, during which he helped and taught us so much. He has been farming all his life and he also forages and makes his own everything - jams, alcoholic drinks, all kinds of preserves and ferments. Since he left us in 2011, he really wanted us to visit him and now we're going. He gave me full details of what he's planning to cook for us, and he also said that he's having a chicken butchered for us. Nobody ever invited me to visit them with that kind of offer.

During my preparations for this trip, I've also been swooning over the Alps in Austria, and the Dolomites in northern Italy, actually the whole Tirol region, which we will be visiting.

I feel so good and free today, that I spontaneously made a bouquet of wild flowers and weeds. I hope that you too are enjoying the beautiful day and the good things around you.

 Peace

2 comments:

emily said...

Sounds exciting. I'm loving the fall weather, too.

Anonymous said...

frumos buchet ! imi pare bine ca te simti asa bine si ca fetele sint fericite la gindul vacantei, e prima lor iesire din america, pe care o s-o realizeze, acum, ca sint mari . mai ales italia , dar si restul . mama .