Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Jose Mujica - why isn't he more well known?

I learned about Jose Mujica, ex-president of Uruguay, in Yann-Arthus Bertrands's Human (part 1), a beautiful, moving documentary I highly recommend.
Probably like most people, I had never heard of Mujica before, but I was so intrigued by what he said in his interview, that I had to find out more. From BBC and al Jazeera news, I found that:
  • he gives away 90% of his salary to charity, which led him to be dubbed the "poorest" president in the world (he disagrees with that choice of words).
  • he lives in a simple farm house and works the land with his wife
  • he drives an old VW beetle, no limo
  • he strives to live like the majority of people in his country, so that he understands where they come from, what they worry about, what they need
  • he is an atheist but respects the Pope
  • he questions consumerism and the idea of economic growth 
  • and other things, but that was enough to seriously pique my interest

I would say that among presidents, his lifestyle, ideas, and way of speaking set him apart quite a bit. Certainly, our presidential candidates here in the US could learn some things from him (to put it very mildly).
To me, he sounds more like a life coach than a politician. Kind of like what you'd want in a real leader: someone with life experience, wisdom, and integrity.
Here's the Mujica interview. I found it inspiring and authentic.
And if you liked that one, here's another, from al-Jazeera; it's worth watching just to see Mujica't house and the way he serves tea, which is pretty funny:
Peace

No comments: