Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, July 10, 2015

Cutiepie and her chicks

Here's a picture of Sena and Aiyana's hen Cutiepie with her newly hatched chicks. One of our customers was watching them with his children and took the picture. Cutiepie is a really good mother and it shows in this picture.
Things are going well. Our new field in Willington is looking great, with potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggplant, beans and brussel sprouts all growing strong. Our home fields are looking fine too; for a while the weeds were getting the upper hand, but now we got them under control. Bug problems have subsided and we're mostly ok now. We're harvesting all kinds of things, like squash/zucchini, cucumbers, lettuces, different types of greens, peas,carrots, beets, fennel, herbs, and even some early tomatoes. Food prep is a lot easier when there are so many fresh veggies to chose from.

The cows were giving us 2 gallons of milk a day, but now the flies are really bothering them, and they don't like the heat too much either, so the milk production dropped to 1.5 gallons per day. Enough for us to drink, make yoghurt, cheese and even give some to my sister at times.
Jet and Oceana are getting big and they're great buddies. They hang out together most of the time. Opal and Jasmine are good mamas, and milking them is still fun, but it gets so hot now, when I'm next to them. They have so much body heat, that by the time I'm done milking I feel overheated too. They're good girls, even though the flies bother them, they rarely kick on the side I'm milking. Opal did a few days ago, and put her foot right in the milking bucket which was a shame.

Sena and Aiyana had an insane week this past one. They had karate, gymnastics and swimming all at the same time, and I felt like all we did all week was run from one activity to another. That is not good and nobody liked it including the kids, but fortunately after this weekend it will be much more relaxed.

I know some mulberry trees nearby, and I've been wanting to go and harvest mulberries, but it has been so busy with all the driving around to activities, I never got to do it.
Our strawberries are done for the year after a great harvest, and the raspberries are now in, but they're not doing great. I think the hard winter really set them back. There are tons of apples though, and peaches, and asian pears, so there will be plently of fruit.

That's the news for now.
Peace

No comments: