I should be really tired right now, because yesterday was a
very busy and stressful day, and last night Sena threw up (she thinks she ate
too much cantaloupe), and I was up with her so I did not sleep well. But, to
the contrary, I am feeling elated. It’s just such a beautiful day outside, and
everything looks so pretty. The sky is blue, and it’s only warm enough to be
pleasant. When I was out inspecting the field and setting up irrigation this
morning, I was taken by surprise by how red the apples on one of our trees
looked against the blue sky, and how green everything in the background.
Sometimes a little scene like that, which I pass by a hundred times a day, will
look particularly fresh, and will take my breath away for one instant, as if I
were seeing it for the first time. This “first-time sight” is a great
gift, and it brings with it a certain lightness, and gratitude for being here
to experience this awesome natural world that we are part of.
Here are some pictures from around the farm.
Olive is three-and-a-half month now
Our young orchard. Ed's been working hard on it lately.Winter squashes are doing incredibly well this year. They grew so much, some took over our stone wall, where I found these three hidden.
Tall spindle apples - not well known here, but very popular in Europe. Ed, Sena and I saw lots of them in the Netherlands when we we biking through in 2003.
Grain corn and beans will be part of our sustenance during the winter. Lettuces in the foreground.
Trellised Roma tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos and husk cherries on the left-center, salad greens on the right
Red peppers are amazing roasted. Been doing a lot of that lately.
Our bountiful peach tree
Wood stacked for the winter
Laundry drying in the sun.
Peace

3 comments:
Your farm is so beautiful... and it has grown and changed so much since I last saw you guys. It's amazing to see the transformations.
sint geloasa pe voi, pt. bunatatile pe care le mincati ; pepeni , mere , ardei rosii, salate... abia astept sa le gustam si noi. mama.
Thank you Emily, and Mama.
Yes, the farm has changed a lot. I am very content with how it is. I love it, and I've always loved it at all its stages, but it's almost hard for me to believe that not so long ago it was overgrown, brushy, and not cared for. But I know the amount of work that went into it. Honestly, I don't know if I could do it again. It was a lot of sustained effort. But I am glad that we did it and that this is our home.
Post a Comment