On Monday, after homeschooling, I went out by myself for a bikeride. On my way back home, I was on a small road bordered by woods, when I heard and then saw two barred owls. They were making amazing sounds, the "who cooks for you, who cooks for you all" call that is typical of them. It was so loud, and it went on for a long time, high up in a tree very close to where I stood transfixed. I dared not move, for fear of scaring them away. After some time, they flew deeper into the woods, and I got back on my bike, feeling excited, as if a gift had been given me. I couldn't wait to tell the kids about what had happened.Cornell Lab has a picture and description of Barred Owls, along with sound recordings of their call. The call I heard is under "Pair caterwauling" and "Various Hoots". They really sounded like that.
Later that night, I got into bed and was thinking about the owls. I've heard owls hooting before, especially at night, and sometimes during the day, but they've always been far away. I looked out the window into the night sky, and just as I was about to close my eyes, I saw a shooting star. I felt as if the universe winked at me.
Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment