Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

we got more snow last night and the ground is covered again. i am starting to feel anxious. i was planning to get peas in the ground weeks ago, but the soil has been either frozen or covered in snow or just too soppy to work. i guess my expectations were led astray by last year's spring, which was unusually warm. at this time last year, we were already harvesting!
i did manage to get beets and carrots, lettuces and spinach in the ground in the greenhouse, which is now up and going again. i'll seed some brassicas in there this week as well. also, the soil blocks (onions, broccoli, cabbage, parsley and other herbs) are doing fine in the greenhouse. hopefuly the ground will be ready when it comes time to transplant them outside.
our CSA is not starting till June, and we should have plenty of crops in the field ready to harvest by then, even with this late spring weather we've been having. one thing's for sure: when the weather warms up and the soil will be ready to work again, we're going to be really busy!

peace

2 comments:

emily said...

I haven't been able to get my peas in either, and we are south of you. I did get 2 kinds of radishes and some multicolored carrots in our raised bed late last week. Now they are covered in snow and ice. I wonder if they will make it.

My mom said to wait until we hear spring peepers to put in the peas, but (sadly) we never get them here because it is too populated.

I've been enjoying reading your updates throughout the winter!
Emily

raluca said...

Hi Emily,
I think your carrots and radishes will make it. I'm hoping to get my peas in this week. Just waiting for the soil to dry out.
It's nice to have news from you.