Sena, Ed and I went to our first sweat lodge last Sunday. It was a beautiful, intimate ceremony, held in the Lakota tradition, and led by an amazing family we have recently become friends with. This is what my experience was like:
Earth, Air, Water, Fire.
Power,
Humility,
Authenticity.
Total darkness,
Intense heat,
Water on red hot stones,
Steam.
Total darkness,
Like a womb.
Deafening drumbeat.
Sacred chanting
Thanksgiving
Prayer.
Sweat
Running down my body
In rivers.
Air so hot,
Burning my nostrils.
Lying my body against the Earth
For strength,
And cool relief.
Feeling the soil,
Rich, dark and moist
Against my skin.
Feeling my heart beat wildly
With the deafening drum,
The only sound I hear
So all encompassing
Like silence.
Relishing the feeling
Of laying on the ground
Black earth against my arm, my neck, my face
Direct, intimate contact
Like a lover
Just where I need to be.
Let go of everything,
Without even trying
Only the drum.
After the fourth door,
Came out into the sunshine and cool air
Of a winter day
Feeling clear, light
And happy,
Like a child.
No comments:
Post a Comment