Perfecting the art of the living contradiction.

Friday, February 17, 2012

our CSA is doing well. we've been getting applications every day, and they're still coming.last night a woman stopped by to drop off her application, and she was so kind, thanking us for farming the way we do, and just being very appreciative of our efforts in general. that feels really good. farming doens't pay very much, but to know that what we do means so much to some people is quite a payment in itself.

earlier this week i went to visit Erica from Hurricane Farm. we spent a really nice couple of hours together, having tea and talking about farm life, with all its challenges, but also its beauty. erica showed me around her farm, and her animals. it was really good to be talking to someone who's experiencing so much of what i am. she is also a mother of 2 young children, and a full-time farmer. we were talking about how there's always so much to do: outside, inside, with the kids, the house, cooking, cleaning, etc. it really felt good to be undwerstood that way, and when i left i felt truly refreshed, and also, inspired to keep doing what i'm doing. it's always funny to me how i can complain so much about the intensity of my life, yet love it at the same time. i don't want to do anything else. i think it's all because of the land. at least for me it is. once you develop a relationship with the land, an intimate, daily relationship, you're hooked. you'll put up with hardships and disappointments, because the land, besides challenging you, can also sooth you and heal you and give you a sense of connection like almost nothing else can. it's very much like having children.

peace

2 comments:

emily said...

I remember you writing a post a long time ago about a tree that is on your land, I think maybe even before you owned the farm. We're still waiting for our special spot in the world. But for now, I'm grateful for our home and our kids. We'll find our land someday!

Roxi said...

As I was reading you post, I was thinking that the way you describe your relationship to your land - how hard it is sometimes, but how rewarding it is too - is very much like parenting. Then I read the last line of your post - that's exactly what I was thinking. Until you have your own kids it's hard to understand why anyone would put up with being woken up several times at night, changing poopy diapers, a fussy baby, etc... but then you're holding your baby and it all makes sense, and you think - how lucky am I? there's nothing else I'd rather be doing...